So, I been cooking a lot this week, I wouldn't say I'm a great chef… But I'm learning LOL, so I figured why not share my lasagna recipe… for those that might not know what lasagna is. That's sad; you're missing out!. Lasagna is a flat and an old type of pasta with various layers of lasagna sheets swapped with sauce, mozzarella cheese, ricotta, and numerous other ingredients. This Italian dish (YES PEOPLE ARGUE THAT LASAGNA IS AMERICAN? REALLY. ITS ITALIAN) it's easy to prepare, You should try this lasagna recipe at home, I promise it taste amazing:
Noah's Lasagna recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 finely chopped celery sticks
- 500g pork, minced or you can use mince of British veal
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 140g pack of cubetti-di-pancetta
- 200ml milk
- 400g chopped tomatoes (2 cans)
- 1 finely chopped carrot
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 500g beef, minced with 10 percent fat
- 2 bay leaves, fresh
- 2 cubes of beef stock
- 1 rosemary, fresh sprig
- 2 thyme, fresh sprigs
- 2 teaspoon oregano (use fresh)
- 500ml red wine
- 400g pasta sheets, dry
- 50g Parmesan, finely shredded
Ingredients to Make bechamel sauce
- 1½ liter milk
- 1 onion, thick slices
- 3 cloves
- 3 bay leaves, fresh
- 100g butter
- 100g flour (plain)
- Grated nutmeg
Start your work with béchamel sauce. Infuse your milk for béchamel sauce. Pour onion, milk, cloves and bay in a large saucepan and let it boil on a medium flame. Turn off the flame and keep this saucepan to the side for one hour to infuse the milk.
To prepare meat sauce, transfer celery, oil, carrot, onion, pancetta and garlic in a large saucepan. Cook it on a medium flame to make the vegetables soft. Carefully tip this all in the mince, tomatoes, and milk. Mix them together with a wooden spoon and mash the minced lumps of all stock cubes along with wine. Let it simmer on a medium heat. Cover it and cook for almost 1 hour. Make sure to mix it occasionally to avoid any catching on the bottom. After one hour, remove the cover and let it simmer for another 30 minutes to one hour until the meat is saucy and tender. Season it and adjust the taste.
It is time to finish béchamel sauce, strain your milk via a fine strainer in one to two jugs. Use the similar pan to melt butter and use a wooden spoon to mix flour in it. Cook it for almost 2 minutes. Slowly mix this flour mixture in a strained milk to avoid lumps. Once you mix it all, keep it on a gentle heat to let it simmer and keep stirring continuously. If there is any lump, you can give a quick beat to this mixture. Let it bubble gently for a few minutes until the sauce turned thick. Sprinkle pepper, salt, and nutmeg.
Heat your oven to 180C or 160C to fan or gas. Spread one spoon meat sauce on the base of a 3.5-liter baking dish. Cover this dish with one layer of pasta sheets. You can snap pasta sheets to fit them in your baking dish. Top these sheets with one-quarter of the béchamel and spoon one-third meat sauce, and sprinkle parmesan. Replicate all layers of pasta, béchamel sauce, meat layer and parmesan. Make sure to cover the dish with a foil before keeping it dish on a baking tray to catch any spills. Bake it for almost one hour until it starts bubbling with the brown and crispy top. You should remove foil after 30 minutes and keep dish in oven once again.
Nutritional Value Per Serving:
Calories: 794, Saturates: 17g, Sugars: 16g, Fat: 38g, Carbs: 63g, Fiber: 4g, Salt: 2.74g and Protein: 48g
- You have to follow the lasagna recipe to assemble it completely and let it cool. Wrap it well in a adhere film and freeze it for almost three months. Transfer it to the refrigerator almost 48 hours to defrost, before you want to cook it. Now, bake it directly and check after one hour. If it needs extra time, you can keep it once again in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To increase the taste of lasagna recipe, you can add one thin layer of ham on the top of every layer of béchamel sauce. You can also replace the carrots with chopped bulbs of fennel.
Mistakes to Avoid
- Carefully decide the type of cooking dish because no-boil noodles require a pasta dish to bake. Technically, no-boil noodles can prove a lifesaver for lasagna recipe because you can accuse no-boil noodles of any bump in the flavor.
- After cooking your noodles, you shouldn’t dump them in a colander in your sink to drain them. These noodles will become a clumpy muddle. After draining the pot, carefully place each noodle on a greased baking sheet. It will take a little extra time, but it can change the texture of your lasagna.
- Lasagna recipe always requires a tomato-based marinara and béchamel sauce. Try to make meat ragu with lots of cream and milk. A sauce with cream will keep things damp and contradicts the acidity of tomatoes.
- It will be good to start your layer with lasagna sauce instead of noodles. It will keep the things damp, and the noodles may not stick to the pan.
- Selection of cheese is crucial because wrong cheese can spoil the taste of your lasagna.
- Ricotta cheese is not advised by experts in a lasagna recipe because it can make your lasagna dry and crack the surface. It is good to increase the use of grated Parmesan cheese. It will increase cheesy and nutty flavor in lasagna. If you want to use ricotta cheese, it is essential to combat dryness with the use of herbs, salt, egg and pepper before spreading this cheese on the noodles.